Dec 18, 2010

Review from Mid-Review to Now

Hello Audience, today has been a long day, working on the last shell drawing and taking picture for the final portfolio.  Now I'm writing this blog to summarize the last half of the semester.  Which was been interesting, a lot of challenging drawings.  I had to change how usually drawing from fast and sketchy to slow and clear.  I think I sort of done that, I still do that a times, but I usually go over it again and edit what I did by going slower, erasing some of what I did.  Another thing was that I'm starting to put contour line more strategically, instead of putting them all over the place.  Probably still have to work on slowing and using line economically.  Another thing is that I notice while looking at the drawings from before the mid-term portfolio was due, that there was some improvement.  Comparing the drawings for the beginning of the semester and now at the end of the semester, there's some differences, but I really don't see any great difference.

Okay on to a different topic, how about my final shell drawing. 
Well, I want the last drawing to be more dramatic than the others, so I decided to go with pose for the shell.  I drew the shell out with black conte' crayon.  Then I wet the paper down with and put some black underneath the shell line work.  The next thing I did, I put some red ink with black and brown ink mixed together to prevent getting a pink color again.  I was thinking of using tea or coffee, but to me I would feel like I'm wasting it.  Using the red ink mixture, I worked it into the shell by following the curves and shape of it.  After that I put some watered down black ink on to the shell to make some depth.  I especially want to be put more black ink into the opening of the shell.  Finally, when I had the shell done, took the watered down black ink and red ink mixture, and filled in the rest of the paper with some background.  In the end, I think it turned out okay, comparing it from the very first shell drawing, it's much better than that. 

Well, with the final scheduled for on Monday at 10am, I got to get a final portfolio on here then.  Here is the link to my Flickr account where it's at Final Portfolio .  The Final drawings pictures have the word 'Final' in front it.  When you are done with this blog post go check it out.

I'll might continue putting posts on here, maybe not everyday, maybe not every week, but sometime in the future.  

Till next time...

7 comments:

  1. Your shell looks fantastic! There's a real sense of movement, the ink is extremely effective. All I can really say is that your shell is fantastic and I hope mine turns out as well as yours did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy your shell. There is a definite sense of form and volume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way the color marks move in the opposite direction of the contour lines give it a really cool feel. And the two colors separated in the background give an interesting feel for the foreground and background. Looks great, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, I have to agree with the general consenus you last shell drawing looks great. It sounds like you put a lot of time and effort into it and it shows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, in regards to the shell...it looks great! I really enjoy the pose of the shell along with the color combination. I think the mixing of the red ink with the black and brown inks really worked in your favor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Your shell turned out great. I love how the colors blend together to give it great dimension and form.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dramatic use of ink, especially when you added the black, worked very well in this drawing. In addition to the extreme receding diagonal, you create a very believable form. Especially when you show the inside of the spiral, it is a very interesting and beautiful view of the shell that you captured very well.

    ReplyDelete