Dec 14, 2010

Shell Drawing #3

Hello again audience, it's a wonderful Tuesday evening in the dorms.  Besides being frigid, its quite nice out.  Well, today was our last scheduled class for life drawing, sad I know it, but it had to come someday, it was just today.  Anyways, our manikins were (kind of) due.  I brought my manikin to get critique by Amy, along with the other manikins from other classmates.  There were some thing wrong with my manikin that I will redo.

While the manikins were being critiqued, we were doing some good old fashion 30 sec thru 2 min. gesture drawing, but with a twist.  Our model, who is a foreign exchange student from Germany, told us about a type of poses that either she did or seen someone else did.  The poses were of her putting clothes on, which was fascinating to be able to do it.  It was like copying a photo of something in mid-action.  Overall, it was great experience.

After the gesture drawing, we did a long pose for the rest of the class.  I would go further into detail about the long pose, but I'm gonna need something to talk about tomorrow.

Also, we got our third shell drawings back today.
I've been waiting to talking about this one.  First of all, it's quite pink.  I used a red ink for the shell itself, but not realizing that red ink on white paper, it turned pink.  Another thing is that I watered it down, so that is probably most of the problem.  Anyways, along with the red ink I used black India ink.  I used to the black ink for the shadow on the lower half of the picture.  Where I should have used the black ink was probably on the shell itself.  Making some gradient on the shell would have help push the sense of depth in the drawing, but I'll keep that in mind for next time. 

Okay, tomorrow is going to be a long day because its the last day to work on our final project for the shopping cart project.  So I might not be able to put a post on here tomorrow, but I will try to. 

Till next time...

4 comments:

  1. I would suggest mixing in some of the black ink with the red ink to tone down the vibrancy and make it look less " AH! PINK!", but, the drawing of the shell and the manner in which the ink was applied was successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had gotten a red orange ink for my shell and it also turned pink on my paper. I also think that adding black to the PINK would help quite a bit. Maybe more black and more water? Try some experimenting on different sheet of paper first. Otherwise I actually like the shell! I'm interested in seeing your 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the movement in your shell. this was a really enjoyable blog to read. I had to leave the room and missed those gesture drawings! i'm sad I missed something to unique. I also wanted to tell you your skeleton proportions were incredibly crisp, I can tell you're an ID student!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh one more thing!! Tip-the tea really helps with the shell! i think it would give your shell less of a sharp quality and more of an organic earthy quality. Just a thought! :)

    ReplyDelete